Saturday, July 11, 2009

Finding my community

I think I’ve been searching for a proper community for most of my life. I have a large family, but grew up in south Florida, hundreds of miles from them and anything resembling a community. Raised by a slightly anti-social and extremely busy single mother, I didn’t even have my parents’ friends as a substitute family.

I was never sporty, perky, or social enough to be a jock, cheerleader, or otherwise popular person. Thankfully, the internet, and my somewhat improved social skills have improve my ability to meet new people. I’ve made a few good friends from dating sites like OK Cupid and www.plentyoffish.com . One of those friends told me about Undergrounds Coffeehaus, where I now live part time, and have some jewelry on consignment. I’ve made new friends through LiveJournal, found old friends through FaceBook, and have met lovely people through my shop on etsy. I’ll have to have a completely separate blog post next week about my crafty sisters in the Hollywood Craft Mafia.

I’ve also found some people who are amazing resources on the internet. JD from Get Rich Slowly helped me to embrace my frugal ways, and see them as the asset that they are. Chris Guillebeau constantly reminds me that conformity is not a good thing for everyone. Havi shares her process, her stuckness, and her general amusement at life, while helping me acknowledge and deal with my roadblocks.

All my life, I’ve looked for a sense of community, a group of people who would cherish me, a place where I fit in. Now I find a new place I belong almost every time I turn on my computer, get a cup of coffee, or answer my phone. I sincerely hope that everyone who wants to has the same experience.

Links, because I don’t know how to do that fancy thing where you can just click on the pretty blue word…yet:

http://undergroundscoffeehaus.com
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/
http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/
http://www.fluentself.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment